DAT BUNS OR DAT BASS HUN?

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 0 comments

I was randomly googling some images about 'body image issues' from 2009 - 2013, and it result in some similarity : PERFECT BODY, whether it is six pack macho man or skinny woman or even six pack woman. It cannot be denied that every media expand that having a perfect body is how the society now. So how about the plus size body can survive on the society? Here is some singer that will bring up about body image issue into some hit song on the Billboard.

NICKI MINAJ and MEGHAN TRAINOR, these two singer has the same subject on their lyrics (Nicki Minaj's song comes out first and then Meghan Trainor's). If you already know what is the similarity from here, you can skip this lyrics and continue to read my next paragraph. If you don't, I have provide both of the song lyrics below so you can read some part of it.


Nicki Minaj - Anaconda

My Anaconda don't...
My Anaconda don't...
My Anaconda don't want none unless you got buns hun

Boy toy named Troy used to live in Detroit
Big dope dealer money, he was getting some coins
Was in shootouts with the law, but he live in a palace
Bought me Alexander McQueen, he was keeping me stylish
Now that's real, real, real,
Gun in my purse, bitch I came dressed to kill
Who wanna go first? I had them pushing daffodils
I'm high as hell, I only took a half of pill
I'm on some dumb shit

By the way, what he say?
He can tell I ain't missing no meals
Come through and fuck 'em in my automobile
Let him eat it with his grills,
He keep telling me to chill
He keep telling me it's real, that he love my sex appeal
Because he don't like 'em boney, he want something he can grab
So I pulled up in the Jag, and i hit 'em with the jab like...
Dun-d-d-dun-dun-d-d-dun-dun

My Anaconda don't...
My Anaconda don't...
My Anaconda don't want none unless you got buns hun

Oh my gosh, look at her butt
Oh my gosh, look at her butt
Oh my gosh, look at her butt
Look at her butt (look at her butt)

....

(to see all the lyrics, click HERE)

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.



It's all about BOOTY or BUTT! The definition of BOOTY are:
butt, ass, specifically female posterior 
(definition are taken from HERE)


As you know, Nicki Minaj (NM) was known for her synthetic boobs and ass. She made her 'assets' into some large size, even very enormous for normal size to make herself as noticeable dark skin woman rapper and singer. She also noticeable since her neon colorful music video 'Super Bass' (or is it only me who start to recognize her since then?).

Her Anaconda lyrics, this BOOTY/BUTT defined as a body part that produce great sex appeal that could brought man to his animal instinct, basic sexual desire. 

"So this is how people exercise on the gym nowadays..." -FJ

The Anaconda lyrics "My Anaconda don't... My Anaconda don't want none unless you got buns hun", buns is defined as the booty/butt, even NM's butt and the dancer's butt glorified everywhere in the video, even there are a lot of butt twerking.


(watch the complete video HERE, but I believe you already see this)

To interpret this song easily: if you don't have a booty/butt like NM (and like the back dancer), the anaconda doesn't want you (explicitly, the guys *penis* doesn't want you). You can read some of the interpretation HERE.

It's kinda sad to think that now pop song is based on how your body should looks. 

-----

How about the other booty/butt song by Meghan Trainor (MT)? They have the same subject, but different approach. While NM approach to sexuality, MT approach to body image and confidence.

Meghan Trainor - All About That Bass

Because you know
I'm all about that bass
'Bout that bass, no treble
I'm all about that bass
'Bout that bass, no treble
I'm all about that bass
'Bout that bass, no treble
I'm all about that bass
'Bout that bass

Yeah, it's pretty clear, I ain't no size two
But I can shake it, shake it
Like I'm supposed to do
'Cause I got that boom boom that all the boys chase
And all the right junk in all the right places

I see the magazine workin' that Photoshop
We know that shit ain't real
C'mon now, make it stop
If you got beauty, beauty, just raise 'em up
'Cause every inch of you is perfect
From the bottom to the top

Yeah, my mama she told me don't worry about your size
She says, "Boys like a little more booty to hold at night."
You know I won't be no stick figure silicone Barbie doll
So if that's what you're into then go ahead and move along

....

(to see all the lyrics, click HERE)


Who the hell is Meghan Trainor? She is a 20-year-old singer-songwriter from Nantucket, Trainor has spent the last few years releasing music independently and writing songs for others. She wrote for some fairly notable artists – a couple of tracks for Rascal Flatts stand out – but didn't get her own big break until she was signed to Epic Records this year. 

(watch the video HERE)


This is not Meghan Trainor, he is Sione Kelepi, the hefty male dancer who appears throughout “All About That Bass,” was casted because of the videos of him dancing on Vine had received hundreds of thousands of views. Even before the video had even come out, Mr. Kelepi was promoting it to his followers. As more people began watching, Ms. Trainor’s video was recommended more by YouTube, helping the video go viral.

"I really like the music video because it is in pastel colors." -FJ

In this song, MT send out the message about we are who we are, how skinny body aren't real, even photoshopped by magazine to make our point of view about perfect skinny body is the one that society wants now. Body-image is still an issue and endlessly renewable resource for pop stars and their teenage fans. Particularly in this Instagram and selfie-centered age.


Positive messages? Some people are having problem with this song, especially those who mentioned as "skinny bitches". The positive message wears off and some find it insulting. This song should bring a body image positivity while calling other "skinny bitches" is not okay. 



I'm bringing booty back
Go ahead and tell them skinny bitches that
No I'm just playing. I know you think you're fat
But I'm here to tell ya
Every inch of you is perfect from the bottom to the top

Here is my analogy of thinking:
1
Mathematical: negative value times positive value
Result : always result in negative value

2
Problem: taunting (-) while encouraging (+)
Result : always result in negative value


How about the body image issue on Asia? Is it as vulgar as the example from NM? Actually, in South East Asia (S.E.A.), some countries find body image is not an open discussion. Talking about some body parts, is not openly discussed and it is lead to taboo. Some of S.E.A. country that still tabooing about body image mostly from strong Islamic value countries, such as Indonesia and Malaysia. Indonesia is the highest percentage of muslim percentage of total population, based from HERE. So Nicki Minaj's Anaconda music video a BIG NO NO from entering these country, especially in Indonesia. We have this KPI (Komisi Penyiaran Indonesia) or Indonesia Broadcasting Commission where there are a specific rules not to let vulgarity entering this country. They filter any negative values, basically everything that violate moral values, religious values, etc.

NICKI MINAJ ANACONDA UNABLE TO PASS THE CENSORSHIP
THE REASON IS:
VULGARITY SHALL NOT PASS


How about your country? Did your country has this kind of commission or rules to filter those negative values? Or it is more like you can see all of it and set rules by yourself in your mind?

You can share it by commenting below. Do you have any suggestion for next topic? You can also suggest it below on the comment.

Have a nice day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment